Crawley Forest School
Update — Crawley Forest School has closed.
After the school closeed, the building became the site of the UK Borders Agency Detention Centre.
About Crawley Forest School
Crawley Forest School in Pease Pottage was an independent special school and children’s home for young people aged between 7 and 18 who had:
- behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
- autistic spectrum disorders
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- learning difficulties
- various mental health issues
Up to 35 residential pupils could be accommodated, along with up to 20 day pupils.
Crawley Forest School had a work experience arrangement with the Arora International hotel in Crawley town centre.
The school was opened by Gloria Hunniford, the TV and radio presenter.
Location and Driving Directions
Crawley Forest School was on Brighton Road in Pease Pottage, not Brighton Road in Crawley, which is a couple of miles to the north.
From the A23 and junction 11 of the M23:
- Follow the signs for the B2114 to Handcross
- Carry on past the motorway service station
- Go straight on at the small roundabout
- the site of Crawley Forest School is a couple of hundred yards along on the left-hand side of the road, immediately after the entrance to the car scrap yard.
- Crawley Forest School’s Ofsted URN was SC398188
- and the school registration number was 938/6277.
Forest School, Horsham
Crawley Forest School in Pease Pottage was not the same thing as Forest School in Horsham.
The Crossroads Group
Crawley Forest School in Pease Pottage was administered by The Crossroads Group (registered as The Crossroads Childrens [sic] Education Services Ltd), an educational company that has no connection with:
- The Crossroads Group, car dealer based in Batley, Yorkshire
- The Crossroads Group, a private equity firm bought by Lehman Brothers in 2003 and presumably no longer in existence.
The ultimate owners of Crawley Forest School were reported to be Arora Hotels, rather than the Crossroads Group.
Other Local Schools
- Woodgate Primary School in the new Woodgate housing estate in Pease Pottage
- Cottesmore School, a private school in Pease Pottage
- Handcross County Primary School, the local primary school
- Handcross Park School, a private school in Handcross
- no website yet
- no email
- phone number not available
- Brighton Road, Pease Pottage, West Sussex, RH11 9AD