The Black Swan Pub
One of the oldest surviving buildings in Pease Pottage, the Black Swan was known as the James King for several years in the 1980s and 90s in honour of one of the founders of the Horsham-based brewers, King and Barnes. When King and Barnes were bought out and closed down, the pub reverted to its original name.
The Black Swan is now one of more than 200 pubs owned by the Hall and Woodhouse organisation. Since Hall and Woodhouse closed down and demolished The Grapes, the Black Swan has been the only pub in Pease Pottage. The only non-chain pub nearby is the Royal Oak Inn in Handcross, about three miles to the south.
Barry Ray’s Slaugham Archives website includes many old photographs of the Black Swan dating back more than 100 years.
The Black Swan has been renovated and extended, with an olde worlde, timber-beamed theme throughout.
The pub features:
- Beer: a good selection of Badger Ales, as well as the usual range of wines, spirits and soft drinks.
- Food: although the Black Swan uses the phrase ‘pub restaurant’ in its advertising, it is actually just a pub that serves food: you make a note of your table number, and order at the bar. The Black Swan is operated by a large, centrally-managed chain, so it offers standard pub grub rather than hand-crafted gastro-pub delicacies. The quality is generally OK, prices are reasonable, and the service is usually quick and efficient. Just don’t take the ‘pub restaurant’ description too seriously: the Black Swan is mainly a place for drinking, not eating.
- A sizeable beer garden at the back of the premises.
- Ample car parking, including spaces reserved for disabled badge holders. Coaches are welcome by appointment.
- Disabled access: a wheelchair ramp and an accessible toilet with baby-changing facilities.
- Heated canopies by the front entrance.
- A function room.
- Piped music.
- Monday to Saturday: 11am to 11pm
- Sunday: mid-day to 10.30pm
- Meals served: mid-day to 9.30pm
Christmas Opening and Menu
The Black Swan is usually open on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve, and closed on New Year’s Day.
The Black Swan offers a Christmas party menu throughout the festive season. For up-to-date details, phone the pub on 01293 612261.
Location and Directions
From the M23 (at junction 11) or the A23:
- Follow the signs towards Pease Pottage.
- Go past the motorway service station.
- Take the third exit (i.e. turn right) at the small roundabout.
- As you cross the bridge over the A23, you’ll see the Black Swan ahead of you.
Similar, but not Identical
The Black Swan in Horsham Road, Pease Pottage, is not the same animal as the Swan in Horsham Road, Crawley, about 3 miles to the north.
- 01293 612261
- Horsham Road, Pease Pottage, Sussex, RH11 9AJ