Slaugham Twinning Association
The Slaugham Twinning Association links two communities:
- The parish of Slaugham, which comprises the villages of Pease Pottage, Handcross, Slaugham and Warninglid, with the addition of Staplefield.
- Two villages in Normandy which form a commune associée: St. Martin des Besaces and the much smaller La Ferrière-au-Doyen.
The group’s full title is the Slaugham/Staplefield-St.Martin/La Ferrière Twinning Association. It dates from the 1970s and currently has about 50 members.
Membership costs £8 per year (as of 2013).
Members of each community exchange visits and organise social events.
St. Martin des Besaces and La Ferrière-au-Doyen are situated about 30 miles (50km) south-west of Caen and about 20 miles from Bayeux. For more information, see:
- http://www.france-voyage.com/towns/saint-martin-des-besaces-2291.htm – a tourist guide to the area.
- http://www.laperceedubocage.com/en/ – a museum dedicated to the village’s role in the Battle of Normandy in 1944. A recorded guide in English is available at the museum.
- http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/st_martin_des_besaces.htm – an account of the battle.
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Martin-des-Besaces – Wikipedia entry, en Français.
- no email
- 01444 461451
- address not available