What Pease Pottage Does Not Have
Well, there is quite a long list, but here are some of the things you won’t find in Pease Pottage :
A Doctors’ or Dentists’ Surgery
The nearest accident and emergency location is at Crawley Hospital, about 4 miles to the north.
There used to be two churches in Pease Pottage at different times:
- The earliest, with corrugated iron walls and a felt roof, was situated close to the Grapes, on the site now occupied by The Pure Oyster Company. Barry Ray’s Slaugham Archives website includes a couple of good photographs of the church: one including the Grapes, and one by itself, both dating from 1905.
- The old church was replaced some time in the 1960s by the Church of the Ascension, opposite the Black Swan. It failed to prosper, and was sold and converted to commercial premises.
The nearest churches to Pease Pottage are:
- Church of England: All Saints in Handcross, St. Mark’s in Staplefield, and St. Mary’s parish church in Slaugham
- Roman Catholic: Our Lady of Fatima in Staplefield
- Baptist: Zoar Strict Baptist chapel in Handcross
A Village Shop
The nearest hairdressers and barbers are:
Update: As of March 2012, there is a barber in Pease Pottage.
Other Things You Won’t Find in Pease Pottage
Pease Pottage also lacks:
- a conference centre
- an abbatoir
- an ice-skating rink
- a museum dedicated to the history of garden furniture