High Beeches Gardens
High Beeches Gardens in Handcross contains 27 acres of landscaped woodland gardens, including many rare plants, trees and shrubs from all over the world.
Opening Hours (2023)
High Beeches is open:
- Between 1 April and 31 October
- Every day except Wednesday
- 13.00 to 17.00 (last entry: 16.30)
- On some bank holidays, the gardens open at 11.00.
Visits by groups of 20 or more may take place outside normal opening hours, and must be arranged in advance.
Dogs are permitted on Mondays, excluding bank holidays.
- Adults: £10 (or £11 including Gift Aid contribution).
- Children aged 5 to 14: £4.
- Group of 15 or more: £9 per person during visiting hours; £9.50 out of hours (vouchers are not valid). During busy times, a refundable deposit may be required.
- Carers: free (ID required).
- Historic Houses members: free (membership card required).
- Royal Horticultural Society members: free on weekdays in July, August and September, excluding group visits.
- One-person season tickets: £30.
- Two-person season tickets: £60.
- Guided tours: a guide costs £95 for a group of up to 25 people; a second guide, if required for a larger group, costs £50. Guided tours must be booked in advance.
High Beeches Gardens contains some rough paths that may be inaccessible to some visitors. The gardens contain plenty of benches.
- Ample car parking.
- Free parking for up to two coaches (with free entry to the gardens for the coach drivers).
Tea, coffee and other light refreshments are available at the Gate Lodge.
Light lunches can be provided for groups, if arranged in advance.
High Beeches was the home of the Loder family, whose members helped to establish Leonardslee and Wakehurst gardens. High Beeches Gardens was established in 1907 by Giles Loder, using plants collected from Asia, America and Europe. The fine country house was severely damaged by fire when an aircraft crashed into it during the second world war.
High Beeches has been under the care of the Boscawen and Bray families for the past half century.
High Beeches Gardens is on the B2110 between Handcross and Balcombe.
Other Gardens near Pease Pottage
- 01444 400589
- High Beeches Lane, Handcross, Sussex, RH17 6HQ